Grand AM

The trials, struggles and joys of a "FULL TIME" lady in pink, mom, on her way to the top, with a few pitstops, pitfalls and questions along the way.

Thursday, November 07, 2002

Heart Broken

I'm really at a lost for words. I just finished talking to my mom. We are both getting excited about the kids this weekend, she - getting them for 2 weeks, me - free of them for 2 weeks. :)

But she is heart broken right now. I can hear it in her voice, read it in her emails and there is nothing I can do about it. She takes care of an elderly woman. A good friend of my mom's asked a year and a half ago if my mom would take in this lady's mother while she remodel her home. The elderly woman "Oma" is 90 years old, just had a broken hip and was recovering and couldn't do stairs and needed "round the clock care" but no need for a nursing home yet. My mom, needed some extra money, needed company in the house and said sure. After 2 months - Oma said it was "her" home. So they kept the living arrangements as is. THen it came to a decision that mom would take care of her for good till a nursing home was required.

Jump to a year and a half later - and this past week, Oma has been to the hospital for heart pains. Old age they call it. Pain from her joints, and old age and other little misfits and it's causing her to have her heart murmer go rampit and now the doctors have told my mom and the daughter that it's just a matter of time. A few months ago, Oma had a year to go. Now Oma will be lucky if she makes it to Christmas. Mom is just crestfallen. She adores this lady, my kids adore this lady, she's like a great-grandmother to my children. She's a hoot to be around with and for someone of 90, her spunk sure out did mine when I visited mom over the summer.

But to hear my mom's voice, broken, weary, tired, sad and sometimes sounding lost - I just feel so hopeless for her. I know that when Oma passes away I will take time off from work to be there for mom. So for me, my count down clock has started too. I was so looking forward to Oma coming up to Denver for THanksgiving, she can no longer travel.. too much on her they say. She will stay with her daughter (who's old enough to be my mom) when my mom goes away for weekends and stuff. I just hope she led a happy life. She lightened up my mom's - when she needed someone in the house. I know mom did the best she could for Oma to make her last few years happy and comfortable. Listen to me.. already talking like she's gone. I sure hope the doctors are wrong and she stays with us longer, but in a comfortable state and not in pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home