Grand AM

The trials, struggles and joys of a "FULL TIME" lady in pink, mom, on her way to the top, with a few pitstops, pitfalls and questions along the way.

Thursday, August 08, 2002

a child's mind

Today I got to talk to my niece Rebecca. She is 4, and the last time I talked to her on the phone or saw her in person was 2 years ago. Her daddy is in the service and has been lucky to take the family to Italy and live there for 3 years. The cost to call my sister is crazy, so I chat with her on AIM and sometimes we do webcam stuff. But with the 8 hour time difference, she's either up late her time or I am on my end, so it hasn't been easy to keep up with her, but only in e-mails.

My brother-in-law has changed jobs with the Navy. He was an engineer for the engines, and has become a master-of-arms (police officer). He had to come back state side for training and then take his new orders which will take him to Greece. (when I was in the service, all I got was Key West, a ship and Philadelphia, PA). He has been state side since June, and he finished schooling the day before and is now able to take a vacation for a month. My sister arrived the night before with her daughter and they are here for 6 weeks, then it's off back to Italy and bro off to Greece. It will be easier for visits for them if she stayed in Italy, instead of coming back to the states for a year.

I know if my husband was reading this, he would say "spit it out woman!".

Ok. I called my mom's house today and asked to talk to Rebecca. She gets on the phone...

"hubwo?"

Poor thing. She has a cold.

"Rebecca, it's Auntie Susan.. how are you doing?"

"AUNTIE!"

yells to my sister - "MOM!!!! It's Auntie!"

"How are you doing little one? I miss you so much."

"MOM? Can we go to Auntie's house?"

"Oh.. the kids will be upset when they find out I talked to you fist. I can't wait to tell the kids I talked to Rebecca first."

"Mom?? Can we go see Auntie please?"

"Rebecca?"

"ummm???"

"you my angel?"

"No Auntie, I don't have wings."

"you don't have to have wings, but you are my angel"

"No Auntie, I told you, I don't have wings."

"Aren't angels cute and pretty?"

"yessss"

"then you must be an angel"

"No Auntie, I'm Rebecca.. not an angel"

HUGE SIGH

"Can I talk to your Mom?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home