Grand AM

The trials, struggles and joys of a "FULL TIME" lady in pink, mom, on her way to the top, with a few pitstops, pitfalls and questions along the way.

Wednesday, August 21, 2002

company 39

What to say, what to say. ROCK MY WORLD. :) LOL. Being on vacation and posting very little makes it hard to get back into the swing of things. Then to come back, go directly to a new job, work full hours (YIKES), and get lost going and coming home from work (YES).. makes it hard to journal in. But here I am.

Pretty rockin day. Headed off to the city this morning, a first in a long time. For the past 3 years, I have worked in all the burbs of Denver and only 1 month in the city. Now I find myself again, down in the hub-bub of everything. Cool.

I find the building, head to the 24th floor and once off the elevator, I knew I wasn't in Kansas, or any other state for that matter. All those "techno" offices with the weird design, fancy schmancy receptionist desk, meeting room with the young Gen "X'ers" in the room you see in the movies.. you were here. Lisa, my manager came and whisked me off to a meeting, and there I was placed with 3 other women, and with a quick glance at their wardrobe, I once again realized, that I'm not as "new wave / graphic artist" as I think. They had these wild hair-do's, funky glasses, wild clothes and slurpen on their morning latte. I'm in black heels, black pants, nice shirt; hair fixed to a "t" and I think "I'm such a geek". Don't get me wrong, I love their styles, I wish I could get away with it. But I think pink nail polish is wild to me so that gives you a small insite to my tastes. I'm a nerd in neutrals. :)

I can't go into too much detail, but needless to say, this is a high profile website I'm working on. It's to do with the World Trade Centers, New York, big wigs, head hancho's; it's the dream job in corporate world I have ever dreamed of. Working for a big name, a big company, and a big product.

Of course, my role is very small. Copy, paste, clean up code. Copy, paste, clean up code. $20. an hour.. I figured it out at lunch today.. I made more today, then I do, in 2 days at my other job. Oh yeah. I'm going to love this. It will look great on my resume.

The office environment is to die for. Most developers like to work in the dark, so I'm set back in a cube, state of the art cube office, dark and away from the windows. I have this cool looking "locker" thing in my office to store supplies, coats, my purse, and personal items. I know, I'm a simple person, I'm amused easily. I'm on the 24th floor, so sometimes I can feel the building rumble and sway. A few times when talking to the other developers, I took a quick glance and looked out the window towards my other job and just giggled.. if they only knew. Shmucks.

I'm dead tired though. I don't think 10:30 is going to get here fast enough, and I'm wondering how many more yawns before I finish this post must I do. I love that I'm hitting the sack early. Something I did while at mom's house. Getting kids to go to bed and mom conking out early just because of her age made it easy for all of us to hit the sack early too.

I feel good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home