Grand AM

The trials, struggles and joys of a "FULL TIME" lady in pink, mom, on her way to the top, with a few pitstops, pitfalls and questions along the way.

Thursday, September 12, 2002



1. What was/is your favorite subject in school? Why? There was a few. Basic stuff.. English. Both my Sophomore and Senior year. Mr. Burright and Mr. Suvall were some pretty rad dudes that got me to think and write. Both of them ended up in scandalous affairs. How ironic. For fun elective classes, Drama and Speech were favorites.

2. Who was your favorite teacher? Why? Had a few of those too, but I think Mrs. Boderker, not sure if I spelled that right, my 3rd grade teacher in Texas was amazing. An old lady who on sunny days used an umbrella on the playground. She was the one that noticed I wrote with both hands and that my penmanship was better with my left. She took a lot of time and effort to work with me to stop using my right hand, and that was not easy. Mrs. Salazer, who never was a teacher of mine, but she knew a friend of mine and saw a lot of potential in me and helped me achieve some pretty high goals my Sophomore / Junior year. She is one of two teachers I still visit after (insert too many years) that I still visit when I come home. Ms. B. I can't explain her. I never had her for a teacher, she is a big person. A "Pat" from SNL if you must think. Not the prettiest person in a dress, but a woman with the biggest heart you will ever meet. She became a close friend of my mother's at church and I realized with her.. you should NEVER judge a book by it's cover. Mrs. Noe. Another great teacher who helped me learn about my family tree and made learning about my home town fun. She knew all the dirty secrets about the rich and wealthy and put those kids on the spot at school.

3. What is your favorite memory of school? Finding out I made the J.V. Cheerleading team. I had been told minutes before that I was just a patsy and wasn't expected to win and that it was such a brave thing for me to do and try out. She didn't make the team, I did. Charlie J - old boyfriend. One day, in band class, (American Pie) - Charlie and another guy started ranting about how theirs was bigger.. this yelling match insued of whom had the bigger one.. they started to undo their pants and pulled off their belts and exclaimed.. that Charlie's was bigger. In the Senior newspaper there is the "Voted Most likely to...." and because I was not popular, I was suprised to see my name.. "Biggest Dreamer". I was a cheerleader, and with another squad member, we would get drunk on warm straight Jack Daniels before a basketball game and cheer for the other team too.

4. What was your favorite recess game? I hated recess.

5. What did you hate most about school? That I was picked on a lot. I have a lot of anger and bad feelings about how I was treated that even when I lived at home as an adult, I still felt those same taunting children, taunting me as an adult. I realized I had the better life, I wasn't stuck in that one red light town, they were, and I grew up, but it still hurts and I'm still not sure if I'll attend any of my reunions. Already missed the 1st one. I guess since I'm on the rant. My Guidance Counsleor - (she was not the picture you saw when you looked that word up in the dictionary. I don't think she even understood the word Guidance). She told me in my Senior Year, when I was preparing to submit to schools, that I should consider the service and find a good man and marry. "I wasn't college material". The horror to it all, my dad agreed. When I did go into the service, I turned down the GI Bill when they offered it to me because "I wasn't college material" and thought it would be a waste. The outcome? I did go to school, I was on the Honor's Roll, earned 5 scholarships, held a 3.94 grade average, while I was a full time mom of two babies 2 and 3, worked full time and went to school full time. What she should have said.. not college material - now -.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home