Grand AM

The trials, struggles and joys of a "FULL TIME" lady in pink, mom, on her way to the top, with a few pitstops, pitfalls and questions along the way.

Thursday, October 03, 2002

roller-coaster tycoon

I love that game.

Designing my own coasters.

I made a great one out of my life tonight. Not 20 minutes after my last post, sitting down for supper in a small state of shock... I get this call. It's a Director in pink. She had lost my brochure for the websites, found it and was calling me. She needs an assistant. Not only her, but 3 other Directors from her Unit need one too. Pays not all that great, but there are monthly bonuses when the unit does great and I'm still home in the morning for the kids and afternoons, and though she could not write it in stone, she was able to tell me that her last 3 assistants all became directors within 6 months. Wow. Impressive record. This is what I need. This is what I have been searching for. This is the postive inforcement that I need. 24/7 positive life in me to get me in gear.

I had made up my mind today that I was not going to worry about this problem and that by next Friday, my future would be laid out for me. Seems someone from above planned it this Friday. I had gone to visit Julie for support. Amazing we call each other first before our husbands find out. I think we do it to sound it off each other then we can talk rationally to our husbands. Then I called my mom and asked for prayers. I really consider my mom God's right hand person and if the line is busy for my prayer to get through, I know she has a hot line to him. I then called my daughters GS leader. To let her know that money is tight again and any help from her would be great in costs. She too said she would think big thoughts for me. I debated on calling my own personal Director about the job. But my mom reminded me that she is on a "sister vacation" and that she didn't need to hear my woes before the weekend. I figured we could talk about it on Monday over lunch.

How shocking that when I called her last night, after the fun night, that I made a comment.. "You will see a new person on Monday". I meant in my attitude about moving up. Not that I would be laid off / fired / quit the next day and possibly an assistant that night.

I think this is my calling. I really do. I think graphic design has finally shut it's door on me and I'm looking at a new bigger career. I'm scared, and nervous. I feel like I have stepped up to the plate and my turn is at bat and it's the 9th inning and it's 2 outs..oh you know the rest of the story. Do I strike out or do I go "deeeeeeeeeeep"?

I did talk to B about it.. what a way to wake up for the evening and find out I'm jobless. I did tell him "hey.. I did find something already.. can't say I wasn't looking" and asked for his input. He said that though he's not crazy about it, if this is what I want I have to be consentent. I can't work 2 hours here and 1 hour there. It has to be a some what cut schedule. I figure that for the hours I'm not working for the girls I'll be working for myself.

So tomorrow I meet this Director in the morning and chit chat with her. She's a very hyper person and I'm very low keyed, so I'm sure she wants to make sure our personalities work. No reason working for her if we clash. If this goes right and I'm still not sure it is.. I can ask my Director to throw another Director my way, and I could be working 5 days a week. And I have thought back on previous Directors. Except for my Director's assitant who has MS, all the other Directors I know.. their assistant has made Director within a year. I can count 8 on my hand off the top of my head. So what does that say for me? That I'll break the mold and not make it? Or follow the steps of leaders and make it?

Maybe getting some sleep isn't going to be as easy as I thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home